Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Win32 Lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Win32 Lynx
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:29:58 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> The way it works currently is that until a packet comes in for Lynx it
> doesn't respond.  There is a way to make it able to be interrupted during
> any part of the connection--even lookups.

Ah, I see, you can interrupt a normal connectionm, but interrupting a
STALLED connection will be a no-go.

> > When I go to edit a mail message, it edits
> > (example) H:\L-3388215TMP.txt, and then when it goes to send it, it tries
> > to send H:\TEMP/L-3388215TMP.txt.  It reports "Cannot access
> > H:\TEMP/L-33882".  My TEMP variable is set to H:/TEMP, so why is Lynx
> > using H:/ to create the file?  Even if I save it to the proper location, I
> > still get the unable to access, and the filename is only partially
> > displayed.  Is this a problem with long filenames, or a problem with
> > slashes, or none of the above?
>
> I haven't seen it do that.  What happens when you set it to h:\temp ?

Oops, all of this hodge-podge of /'s and \'s is addling my brain.  My temp
variable is set to H:\TEMP is what I meant to say.  Lynx DOES create it's
L-12379283TMP.html files in H:\TEMP.  Maybe it's just a problem with
EDIT.COM.  That's it.  If you try 'edit H:/TEMP\LBLAH.TXT', it tries to
edit H:/LBLAH.TXT.  Why couldn't MS have used /'s like everyone else?!?
ARGH!  Anyway, maybe what you need to do is convert all the /'s to \'s
before calling external apps.  I suppose apps ported from unix will
recognize both, but DOS/Win native apps are likely gonna want \'s.