Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Why use `cp' and `rm' when _WINDOWS defined?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Why use `cp' and `rm' when _WINDOWS defined?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:51:24 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> could use Win31 viewers with lynx under Win95/NT.  I also found a place
> where the mailcap definitions guaranteed four or more character extensions
> as the default, and fixed that to maximum three-character filename
> extensions, again for the widest DOSPATH compatibility.

The mailcap extensions for DOS were fixed some time ago to make sure
that they don't exceed 3 characters. See the ifdefs for FNAMES_8_3. This
may be another place where the DOS fix could be extended to windows. I
suspect, however, that most windows users prefer to keep their long file
names and would consider this fix to be a "bug".

Unfortunately, the DOSPATH define has been used in various parts of the
code for ifdef's that don't actually have to do with the DOS path, so
that ports to other platforms need to look at each of these defines to
see if it applies that port or not. Most recent additions to the code
have used more specific defines (e.g. __DJGPP__ or _WINDOWS), but I
don't know that anyone has the time or inclination to go back over all
the code which seems to be working fine, just to change the DOSPATH
defines and hope that they don't add more problems. I think most of us
would like to spend time on the parts of the code that aren't working as
we would like.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman