Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 05:48:15 -0400 (EDT)

980721 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> 980721 Philip Webb wrote:
>> just leaving it forgotten in a Release is surely bad practice.
> but the configure script lists these as options
> and they're not hard to build.

well, strictly it's  lynx.cfg , which lists them accurately enough,
& they are mentioned in  configure.in  without any comment.
the  -lss  command-line switch is NOT listed by  -help
& is the style-sheet option mentioned anywhere in the on-line help files?

>> could we do a `reverse patch' operation:
>> ie move extracted material to an archive directory like To Do,
>> whence people could grab it & play with it when they felt inclined?
>> that might be a better stimulant for typical Lynx programmers,
>> who tend to lack time rather than motivation.
>> does TD have any comment?
> I don't mind leaving experimental code
> as long as it builds & works reasonably well
> (ie no obvious problems, and is not hard to keep integrated).
> It's a lot harder to maintain patches than code that's been integrated.

so the real issue seems to be how to maintain a list of such code,
so that Lynx doesn't slowly fill up with dead material,
whose purpose & potential problems no-one remembers.
maybe the reference in  lynx.cfg  is sufficient in this case
-- of course, the guy from BSDI should have looked there -- ;
do these things get listed in the Changes file?

finally, who in fact wrote the code in question?
is s/he still around to offer any comments?