Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx -lss option bad [BSDI-Support-Request #53069]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:41:04 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Jason F. McBrayer said:

> That reminds me.  I'm going to start reading the availible docs
> on XML to try to get a user-level understanding of it, just so
> I can get a picture in my head of what if anything needs to
> happen to Lynx to support XML, and to what extent XML support
> is possible in a character-cell browser (without page-author
> cooperation).  I'll report back to the list, since it sometimes
> seems we have a lot of confusion here about XML, CSS, and such
> things.

Be sure to visit Chris Maden's site if you want to read up on XML.

But there are also print books.

XML is extensible so people can create roll-your-own applications
in it.  The user perspective changes from application to
application.

Parsing XML will be a piece of cake compared to what you get
today as HTML.  So for Lynx to do _something_ with it will not be
hard.  On the other hand, how useful that _something_ is will be
all over the park, depending on how the application is
implemented in XML.

Ask for WAI support if you find people doing gratuitous things
that make it hard for Lynx to do something useful with their XML
application in a VT-100 UI.  We are still looking for approaches
to "generic requirements on XML applications to be accessible for
people with disabilities."

Al