lynx-dev Redundant link movement cmds? (was: Some thought on additional

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Redundant link movement cmds? (was: Some thought on additional TEXTAREA functions)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:01:08 -0800

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999, I said:

| PS: I am still looking for a function() in lynx, that will move the cursor
|     to a specified line number within a page (when it is known that that
|     line is a link/anchor).

In my quest to develop a cursor repositioning methodology, for use in
TEXTAREA expansion operations, I'm considering having the function()
that is called from within LYMainLoop.c, return a value that would
indicate the required amount of movement and direction, from the currnet
cursor position, and having some code there (in LYMainLoop.c) do the
job.

Which led me to look at the existing code for the LYK_NEXT_LINK and
LYK_PREV_LINK cases.

Whereon, I also discovered cases for LYK_DOWN_LINK and LYK_UP_LINK,
which I don't think I realized were distinctly different commands before.

Looking at the keybinding descriptions, we have:

 <           UP_LINK       move up the page to a previous link
 >           DOWN_LINK     move down the page to another link

and

 Up Arrow    PREV_LINK     make the previous link current
 Down Arrow  NEXT_LINK     make the next link current

And a quick look at the code for the corresponding pairs, looks quite
similar (cosmetic differences such as error msgs aside).

So ... what am I missing ...?  Why the need for the UP/DOWN commands,
when we have the PREV/NEXT ones?  A quick comparison between the "<"
and "UpArrow" keystrokes, and between the ">" and "DownArrow" keystrokes
didn't seem to do anything different.  So again ... what am I missing?

BTW, glancing through the UserGuide didn't seem to mention "<" and ">",
but then I really didn't look very hard.

Curiously ...

/kim

"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'"  --Buffy