lynx-dev Re: [dev.15] fixup patch: edit TEXTAREA

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [dev.15] fixup patch: edit TEXTAREA
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:42:00 -0800

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999, Dick Wesseling (address@hidden) said:

| > Habit, I suppose ... (*cp < ' ') works well for both ASCII and
| > EBCDIC (though I suppose there might be a problem with CDC's Display
| > Character char set ... my 6600 refs are boxed away someplace).  :-)
|
| I always have mine at hand, let me see, from appendix A1 of the
| NOS-BE-1 reference manual:
|
| 000 = :
| 001 = A  ..

| 055 = space
| 056 = and so forth
|
| Notice that character code 00 is special, as binary zero is also used
| for padding purposes when packing less then 10 6-bit characters into a
| 60-bit word.

Heh.  Yup, that brings back some memories, all right.  IIRC, there was
also an escape code indicating that the char was a 12-bit char, which
was how you got lower case, I believe.  BTW, now that I think about it,
I think CDC called it "Display Code" rather than what I originally said
("Display Character").

I had the "honor" of writing a driver for a 6400/6600 running NOS's
predecessor (whatever that was called ... SCOPE maybe, or was it COS ?),
to push data out to the first really widely available, commercial graphics
device ... a Tek 4010 terminal.

Lotsa fun ... especially since they had to give me "root" privs, because
I needed to really get down into the guts, and write some code for the
PP's, as well as the CPU proper.

Thanks for the nostalgic sidebar ...!

/kim