Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:42:37 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Bela Lubkin wrote:

> At this point in Lynx's development, I even wonder whether anyone still
> needs "keypad-as-numbers" mode.  As an informal survey: who would
> currently be bothered if the keypad *always* acted as arrows, except
> when prefixed with "0" to make them into numbers?
>
> I'm asking for first-hand bother, not referred.  i.e. please don't tell
> me that this would confuse some nebulous population of blind users,
> unless you yourself would be confused.  I would like to believe that the

I would certainly be annoyed at this. That is why the 101-key keyboard
has two sets of pads. One is ALWAYS arrows. The other can be toggled
between arrows or numbers. I keep it as numbers for rapid entry of
numerical data. The arrow keys are on the other pad, but hardly ever
used. I keep VI keys turned on, and use them for navigating except
when in a text entry area.
                                     Doug
__
Doug Kaufman