Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 17:48:27 +0400 (MSD)

>      * From: address@hidden
>        from "Vlad Harchev <address@hidden>" at May 3, 99 05:15:37 am

>> > It is reasonable to include generated *.html files into the 2.8.2
>> > distribution (like we have with gettext' lynx.pot) and leave portability
>> > and maintenance for 2.8.3 development. At least we got a very useful
>> > resource (hmm, make install-cfghelp ?) and set a starting point for future
>> > resync body.in with lynx.cfg. See also Vlad's letter below.
>>
>>   IMO it's also reasonable to apply this patch. It will modify LYReadCFG.c,
>> making for each setting name "XYZ" at page displaying 'LYNXCFG:/' hyperlinks

>> to "$(helpdir)/lynxcfg.body.html#XYZ". So, even if functionality of
>> standalone c preprocessor is not availble, user will get description of each
>> setting present in lynx.cfg.
>>   We can also modify configure.in so that it will check whether $(CPP) works
>> OK, and if yes, generate *.html files.

> that doesn't work on VMS.

I mean the scripts may be assumed "experimental" and disabled by default.
But generated .html files (and links from LYNXCFG:/ page) really useful
for everyone from not restricted account (litterally, those without
NO_CONFIG_INFO defined and without LYRestricted set.
They can "RELOAD THE CHANGES" from LYNXCFG:/ page).

Whether the *.html files will be maintained by hand or generated
from (non?)portable script it is a useful user resource.