Re: lynx-dev annoying blinking of lynx with ncurses

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev annoying blinking of lynx with ncurses
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:38:45 +0900

From: "Thomas E. Dickey" <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 06:01:59 -0400 (EDT)

> > But I found that lynx with ncurses blinks very much
> > than that with slang, for example, when I input one letter
> > (or character?) in text field (or form?) it blinks.
> > This is really annoying and it never occured with slang
> > version lynx.
> >
> > Is this well-known already and difficult to fix?
>
> I think it depends on the page you're trying to view (there are some
> changes that people made to solve some not-very-well-specified problems
> with repainting after displaying CJK).  I can take a look at it if you
> can describe the conditions (there may be a better fix, maybe not - I
> don't know).

The problem occured on almost all pages and even when I input
only ASCII (or alphabet), but because you refered to CJK,
I investigated a bit more and found;

* when I setted (in normal use)

CHARACTER_SET:euc-jp
PREFERRED_LANGUAGE:ja,en;q=0.9,*;q=0.5

the problem occured on almost all pages.

(For example, visit http://www.debian.org/ and try "search")

* but without the above setting, no problem at all.

Perhaps only "CHARACTER_SET:euc-jp" caused the problem,
I guess.

So it might be a problem related to CJK displaying, as
you commented.

For your reference, here is my config options;
(this might be irrelevant though)

 --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
 --sysconfdir=/etc/lynx-cur --localstatedir=/var \
 --libdir=/etc/lynx-cur --with-screen=ncurses \
 --enable-8bit-toupper --enable-externs --enable-nsl-fork \
 --enable-cgi-links --enable-exec-links \
 --enable-exec-scripts --enable-persistent-cookies \
 --enable-nls --enable-gzip-help \
 --enable-prettysrc --enable-source-cache --with-zlib \
 --enable-cjk --without-included-gettext

If you need any other infomation, please let me know.

Best regards,                     2001.10.12

 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.