Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and styl

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and style files
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:37:58 +0100

  RA> * Phillip Lord (2008-09-03) writes:
  >> Just to explain, the reason I do this is that my emacs configuration and
  >> add-on packages are shared between the five machines and 2 operating
  >> systems that I use regularly. I use unison to sync it all together; this
  >> means I only have to install things once and behaviour is identical
  >> between my machines.

  RA> How do you make sure that the different Emacs installations have access
  RA> to the info files of the "add-on packages"?

Good question.

What I used to do is dump all the info files into ~/emacs/info. The gets
unisoned also, so ends up on all my machines.

In practice, I stopped bothering. I've never managed to get to grips with how
emacs finds its info files and found it unreliable; I normally just open them
with C-uC-hi in my ~/emacs/packages directory. Or more often these days, I
type the name into google and use a web browser.

  >> I don't think that this was the problem. I've just tried again, including
  >> with --prefix=/tmp and got the same thing.

  RA> If you are talking about the lisp files not being put below the prefix
  RA> then you should use --with-lispdir in addition to --prefix. IIRC the
  RA> configure script will put the lisp files into a directory in the
  RA> load-path of Emacs. If it cannot find such a directory below the given
  RA> prefix, another available one is chosen.

Okay.

So I've tried

./configure --with-lispdir=/home/phillord/emacs/package/auctex

This fails when the install tries to access /usr/local/share/info. Actually,
it errors when mkinstalldirs is called which is ignored, then make crashes
when auctex.info is /usr/bin/install'ed to

So then

./configure --with-lispdir=... --info-dir=...

(where ... is the location above) which fails as well.

The alternative in my .emacs is this....

(require 'tex-site)
(if (not (file-readable-p "~/emacs/packages/auctex-11.85/"))
    (error "Emacs auctex not where it is expected to be")
  (setq TeX-data-directory "~/emacs/packages/auctex-11.85/"))

which seems to work.

Phil