Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and styl

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] adventures with --prefix, TeX-data-directory and style files
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:53:29 +0200

* Phillip Lord (2008-09-03) writes:

> In practice, I stopped bothering. I've never managed to get to grips with how
> emacs finds its info files

C-h v Info-directory-list <RET>
C-h v Info-additional-directory-list <RET>

> and found it unreliable;

Probably because you use a non-standard setup and haven't configured it
correctly.

> I normally just open them
> with C-uC-hi in my ~/emacs/packages directory. Or more often these days, I
> type the name into google and use a web browser.

Sounds inconvenient.

>   RA> If you are talking about the lisp files not being put below the prefix
>   RA> then you should use --with-lispdir in addition to --prefix. IIRC the
>   RA> configure script will put the lisp files into a directory in the
>   RA> load-path of Emacs. If it cannot find such a directory below the given
>   RA> prefix, another available one is chosen.
>
> Okay.
>
> So I've tried
>
> ./configure --with-lispdir=/home/phillord/emacs/package/auctex
>
> This fails when the install tries to access /usr/local/share/info.

Because you did not specify --prefix.

> The alternative in my .emacs is this....
>
> (require 'tex-site)

This is outdated.  Please look up in the documentation how to set up
AUCTeX.

> (if (not (file-readable-p "~/emacs/packages/auctex-11.85/"))
>     (error "Emacs auctex not where it is expected to be")
>   (setq TeX-data-directory "~/emacs/packages/auctex-11.85/"))
>
> which seems to work.

... and voids your warranty.