Re: [AUCTeX-devel] xemacs (sigh)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] xemacs (sigh)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 22:10:39 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > The version has a lot of other changes.  XEmacs has been comparatively
>    > unimportant for a number of years for AUCTeX and vice versa.
>
> Please don't remind me. It almost hurts me physically to think that such
> a great software like xemacs, which had/has features 20 years ago, that
> GNU emacs was relatively slow to implement, faded away into the great
> abyss of oblivion[1] and that its developer did not really care about
> auctex.
>

>    > Would that have been any different, it might have been possible to
>    > find someone willing to invest the time and effort for keeping
>    > XEmacs supported. The end of XEmacs support is not really important
>    > enough to single out here.
>
> Well as a long time Xemacs I beg to differ.

We have never put any sort of NEWS item into release tags regardless of
their importance, and Git release tags may actually even move (as
opposed to commits which are a historic record).

You just looked in the wrong place, regardless of how important XEmacs
may seem to you.

>    > The only thing that might be worth thinking about is linking to
>    > (the latest?) news on AUCTeX's web page.
>
> That would be helpful.

AUCTeX's web page is not really a lot to write home about in its current
state, really.  Linking to AUCTeX's news items might be a bit of
improvement.

--
David Kastrup