Re: [linuxiran] laptop

From: Milad Niqui
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] laptop
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:05:03 +0100

Aryan Ameri wrote:
On Friday 28 November 2003 00:54, Zoup wrote:

On Thursday 27 November 2003 00:02, Kaveh Mousavi wrote:

--- Zoup <address@hidden> wrote:
I asked it because zoup told me that in his opinion
the sony laptops are very good (in our last
meeting)!!,

arash did you have any problem with sony?

regards
Kaveh

Some of those Vaio's are working good with Linux , at last as longest
as I've got one ! :)
i have an sony vaio 3304 ( cant remember!! ) , it was well , vaio io
programable working good in kernel , agp card , sound card and ...
working good , even i can get WinModem working under linux with that
vaio ...

Could you use the Sony memory stick under linux?

sony got no support for its products , 3 year ago i have send an
message to ask if that win modem working under linux or not , i'm
still waiting for answer ! ;)

That's the difference between IBM and Sony, see; I asked the same question from IBM, and I received 3 mails, from 3 different support guys in less than 24 hours. They were very helpful, trying to locate good Linux-Laptop related documents for me, and I tell you, they were all using Linux themselves, cause they knew what they were talking about. One of them even asked a KDE question from me, which I happily answered!

About the modem, the conversation went to this, that it's not really IBM's fault. IBM likes to have driver for it's modems, but it's Lucent (Agere) who is refusing to produce them. I received all kinds of apologies from the IBM guys, from this. As for the sony, I had a Vaio for a brief period of time, and I basicaly agree with Arash. The Vaio was the worst laptop I have ever touched. The worst screen I had ever seen, basicaly you had to sit comletely straight across it, otherwise all you saw was a negative-like screen. The keyboard also was really shaky, I wasn't confident with it.

The new Vaios come with Onyx-Block LCD which is a very crystal clear screen. It no longer has the polaroid effect that you mentioned. I haven't seen these kind of screens on other laptops yet.

My colleague recently bought a Sony Vaio PCG 315S with 2.66M, 512MB ram, 60 GB of HDD DVD RW, with those onyx-block screens, and all that for 1300 Euro (which is quite cheap compared to other marks). Not only sony seems to be the cheapest, but also (at least until a while ago) was the only one offering laptops with Athlon processor (for me this is a plus). And I know that at least the RedHat installation goes quite smooth on a Vaio. However perhaps you are right that their support team doesn't know about Linux.
In general if you want to run Linux on a laptop you are on your own.

cheers,

Milad