Re: [linuxiran] laptop

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] laptop
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:01:19 +0200

On Friday 28 November 2003 00:54, Zoup wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2003 00:02, Kaveh Mousavi wrote:
> > --- Zoup <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I asked it because zoup told me that in his opinion
> > the sony laptops are very good (in our last
> > meeting)!!,
> >
> > arash did you have any problem with sony?
> >
> > regards
> > Kaveh
>
> Some of those Vaio's are working good with Linux , at last as longest
> as I've got one ! :)
> i have an sony vaio 3304 ( cant remember!! ) , it was well , vaio io
> programable working good in kernel , agp card , sound card and ...
> working good , even i can get WinModem working under linux with that
> vaio ...
>
> sony got no support for its products , 3 year ago i have send an
> message to ask if that win modem working under linux or not , i'm
> still waiting for answer ! ;)

That's the difference between IBM and Sony, see; I asked the same
question from IBM, and I received 3 mails, from 3 different support
guys in less than 24 hours. They were very helpful, trying to locate
good Linux-Laptop related documents for me, and I tell you, they were
all using Linux themselves, cause they knew what they were talking
about. One of them even asked a KDE question from me, which I happily
answered!

About the modem, the conversation went to this, that it's not really
IBM's fault. IBM likes to have driver for it's modems, but it's Lucent
(Agere) who is refusing to produce them. I received all kinds of
apologies from the IBM guys, from this.

As for the sony, I had a Vaio for a brief period of time, and I basicaly
agree with Arash. The Vaio was the worst laptop I have ever touched.
The worst screen I had ever seen, basicaly you had to sit comletely
straight across it, otherwise all you saw was a negative-like screen.
The keyboard also was really shaky, I wasn't confident with it.

to the OP, well, if you live in Mashhad, I am afraid if buying Apple is
out of consideration, then go with IBM. I never recommend Dell to
anyone, cause I hate Dell personaly and my experience with Sony has
been worst than awful. Simens is also a good choice, they are very
popular in Turkey and Cyprus. And if you go with Toshiba, make sure
that you purchase a Pentium-M (pentium mobile) processor, and not a
desktop pentium processor. The Desktop processors are a bit cheaper,
and are a bit more powerful, but they lack advanced power management,
and they are very heavy (because of the size of huge batteries) and
they also have not a good battery life, and they are also very hot, and
some of them have had heat problems and Toshiba was once forced to
recall a certain model. Make sure that you get a Pentium-M processor,
whatever brand you go with.

Cheers

--
/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */

Aryan Ameri