Re: [linuxiran] laptop

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] laptop
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:49:43 +0200

On Thursday 27 November 2003 13:53, ocean wrote:
> I have seen a few models and I found one laptop
> seeming good on my budget! It's a compaq presario 2532
> 2.66M( that's what the seller guy said!) 512MB ram,
> DVD RW,15.1TFT, 40 GB of Hard, probably a winmodem...
> What's ur opinion?

The spec is impressive. However it seems the Presario 2500 series don't
love Linux that much. a couple of reports

http://natura.di.uminho.pt/~jac/deliverables/htmls/
redhat9oncompaq2500.html

http://www.akiaki.org/linux/presario.2500.HOWTO.html

Also, do you really need a DVD RW? (BTW is it DVD+RW or DVD-RW, cause
these two are different). If you are not into making movies, I advice
you save a couple of dollars and get a combo drive instead.

However, if you backup/archive your drives regularly, using a DVD as a
backup tool might be appropriate.

> By the way u mentioned Desktop Processors for laptops!
> Does Toshiba get this from that Desknote thing they
> created in India?(Correct me if I'm wrong!)

I don't know anything about desknote. What I know is that some producers
are using regular deskopt processors in their notebooks to bring the
price down. Try not to use them. If a processor says Pentium-M or
Pentium Mobile, it's OK. If it is just a pentium, then I suspect that's
a desktop processor.

--
/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */

Aryan Ameri