Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs modules

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs modules
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:16:47 +0900

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 05:38:59PM +0900, Alex Shinn wrote:
> I think this can break much more easily than you think.
> Consider (html parser) would conflict with the html-parser egg.

I totally agree; it is clear as day this has the potential to wreak havoc.

> Slashes are much less likely to conflict, and map well to
> the actual directory layout that the files will be distributed as.

Except nobody does this currently, and I have no idea whether
chicken-install can handle that, and whether the module loading
system can handle this; currently everything is just dumped in
lib/chicken/N, so this is possibly a rather invasive change.

Then "." may be most appropriate, but I encourage you
to think a little more about this before implementing it.

It's trivial to make chicken-install support R7RS libraries
with a define-library form, no matter what mapping you
choose.

The next desirable level of integration is supporting use
of the original R7RS source from csi.  If you want to
contribute to the upstream source of an R7RS library you
want to be able to edit it and quickly test changes from
chicken without installing, and often without compiling.
If you choose "/" as the separator I suspect this will
just work.  If you choose another separator you need
to add hooks so that csi knows how to map the library
name to the equivalent with /'s.

--
Alex