denemo-devel

Re: Can not tweak objects in Debian's Version 2.5.0

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Can not tweak objects in Debian's Version 2.5.0
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 09:48:58 +0100

On Sun, 2021-10-24 at 10:58 +0300, Lib Lists wrote:
> I can test in a few hours, but I'm not sure how to update from
> source.
> Should I simply repeat the steps here: http://www.denemo.org/hacking-
> sources/
>
> 1. git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/denemo.git

if you have already done that then you just need to do
git checkout master
in the directory that you git cloned to.

> 2. follow the build instructions?

then

/autogen.sh && ./configure && make

and without even installing you can run

/src/denemo

to test it out.

see below from tar ball

> Thanks,
> Lib
>
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 at 02:56, Robert Lewis <lewis.r@rogers.com>
> wrote:

> > > I've not had any luck trying to find documentation for libevince,
> > > but I
> > > have put in a print out of the link that Denemo is trying to
> > > follow as
> > > received from libevince when you right click on a note in the
> > > Print
> > > View. I've put this into the repository and bumped the
> > > development
> > > version to 2.5.4
> > > If either of you could by any chance rebuild from current master
> > > with
> > > this version, right click and read the response in the terminal
> > > that
> > > should show where the trouble lies.
> > >
> > > Richard
> >
> > I'd like to help out, but I've never built software from a master
> > before -- I
> > guess it's about time I learned how.  I know I needed the package
> > "make" (and
> > installed that), but I'm not sure what other packages I might need.
> >
> > I got the denemo-master.tar.gz from the repository and extracted it
> > into a
> > temp folder.  From the README.md file I did:   $ ./autogen.sh
> > and got the following error:
> >      ~/temp/denemo-master$ ./autogen.sh
> >        ./autogen.sh: 2: aclocal: not found
> >
> > The folder aclocal is in /usr/share/
> >
> > What should I do next?

you have to install a whole bunch of stuff

apt-get install guile-2.0-dev libaubio-dev portaudio19-dev libfftw3-dev
libgtk-3-dev libxml2-dev automake libtool libgtksourceview-3.0-dev
libfluidsynth-dev autoconf libsmf-dev autopoint librsvg2-dev libportmidi-dev
libsndfile1-dev libevince-dev librsvg2-dev librubberband-dev intltool
gtk-doc-tools

and then

/autogen.sh && ./configure && make && ./src/denemo

as above.

Overnight I've been mulling this over and one thing to check is to
export the Print View using the PDF button and then fire up your pdf
viewer on the resultant pdf file. This should then show the links when
hovering over a note. The default pdf viewer on my system is "atril"
and it does show the links, but if your viewer is "evince" and does not
show the links then that would indicate the problem is with libevince.
Coincidentally someone submitted a patch for linking Denemo to libatril
recently which didn't get applied because there wasn't any guarantee
that the program would work with that alternative library (and even if
it did, just changing the names would be pointless). It may be
opportune to look at this again. After all, there must be some reason
that Debian has a libatril package...

Richard