[DotGNU]A plea for some organization.

From: Matthew Copeland
Subject: [DotGNU]A plea for some organization.
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:56:54 -0500

Just an observation, but things appear to be getting disorganized fairly
quickly, so I propose that we take a little bit of time here and do as
some others have suggested and figure out the projects.  Each project will
have a separate mailing list for just that effort where only those issues
will be discussed.  Once the mailing list is organized the interested
parties can join up and start by formulating a document lists the basic
set of requirements needed for that project.  I know what some of you are
thinking, "A document, we need code, not some document."  Well, that would
be nice and all if it weren't for the fact that this thing will end up
being very big with a lot of people interacting with it, so we need a
basic document placed under the GNU FDL that lists the basic requirements
for each project.  Once each group has a document done, they post it back
to this list for discussion.  At that point, we can decide as a group
whether it needs to be sent back for some more work or not.

        Once the document is produced, we can develop a basic API
framework and a set of designs for each project.  Once everyone has had a
chance to look at that document we can really begin to get a good set of
coding done knowing that are pieces will interoperate.

        Even if we don't follow the above, we still need to split things
up into some subgroups or projects, so here is what I propose for the
immediate term.  Let's start having people post to the list the basic
projects needs for the dotGNU framework to work.  This need to be
accompanied with a description of what the group is supposed to be working
on so that others can provide feedback on what that group should be doing.
Once we have each group flushed out, that should give us a basic set of of
high level over all requirements for what each group needs to provide.  As
a method for controlling the madness, I also propose that the subject
field for these messages should be "[PG-Proposal] <group name here>" where
PG-Proposal stands for Project Group Proposal.
        My only thought with this is try to get things moving in a clear
direction, and not bossing people around.  I will fire off an example
message right after this for the authentication module.

Matthew M. Copeland