Re: [DotGNU][PG-Proposal] dotGNU authentication and authorization subsys

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU][PG-Proposal] dotGNU authentication and authorization subsystem.
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 21:50:47 +0200

Why not simply address@hidden

>       The purpose of this project will be to find a replacement for a
> single server/entity control over authentication (i.e.  passport) that
> will allow the following.
>
> *     Control of data by the individual.  (Privacy Protection)
>
> *     Mechanism for automatic logins and single logins.
>
> *     Distributed and scalable control mechanism for servers such that
>       any individual, company, or government can create an
>       authentication server and the user can decide which to use at run
>       time.  (This means that no single authority can also manage
>       primary servers like you see with the root nameservers under DNS.)

David Sugar made a very good comment on these points recently:

    We must NOT create a passport "portal".  That is technically and
    morally wrong.  We must create a framework that can be scaled and
    deployed at any level desired, whether locally, at an enterprise,
    or at a portal.  Authentication and access to private information
    should be peer to peer to preserve local storage of those things
    which should remain in private users hands.  The ability to migrate
    data upward can be provided for, on a selective basis, and controls
    must be provided as to who may or may not access specific user
    information.

My conclusion is this:  Unless there is a need for the
individual to access the data from more than one computer, the
authentication and authorization subsystem can run on the
end-user's PC.  The data will be migrated to a "higher level"
only when that is explicitly desired by the end-user.  A reason
doing that would be when you want to be able to access some data
when you're travelling and your PC is not connected to the 'net.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com