Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:32:14 -0400

I think one point that needs to be emphasised is that compatibility with those things that are considered or up for consideration as "standards" will of course be implimented in whole to that standard, unless there is a conflict between the standard and freedom, in which case alternate solutions that protect and promote freedom will be offered.

Another thing to consider is that when we speak of freedom, we are also speaking of users freedoms and rights, such as privacy, in addition to the freedom of the software itself, which is embodied in the GPL.

I think it is also important to stress the fact that the existing passport system offers no technilogical advantage, and in fact, is a much poorer technology than what can actually be offered, such as in a distributed authentication and user data storage system, unless one considers the primary goal of the existing (microsoft) solution as being soley to form and track every user and transaction that occurs on the net from and by one single company.

Finally, if Microsoft became/registered/aquired a financial services company, under US law (as of July 1st), Microsoft would be legally permitted to share and distribute any and ALL financial information it may collect in it's global passport based solution with ANYONE it chooses. Even if one "ops out" of this by filling out and returning an appropriate form later, it would still be free to share and sell past information to ANYONE, and any current information to ANY of it's existing business partners at will. This is something to consider and stress, as it may be something people could identify with and understand more easily why the passport system is ethically and morally wrong.

David

Norbert Bollow wrote:

As I understand it, FSF was planning a VERY different press release, but couldn't get in contact with the right people to authorize
it. Still, we need to be very grateful to Richard and the FSF
for what they have done for us. It is still very good and will
help a great deal.

I agree.  The official "blessing" by FSF (as this was called in
the Newsforge article) is worth a lot.  My disappointment came
from expecting too much too quickly.  I'm sure we can trust the
Free Software Foundation to think through the freedom issues
and then speak about them very openly.

Norbert, can you draft a press release along the lines of your response to the article

Ok, I'll start working on this immediately.

Everyone who would like to be quoted in the press release,
please send me (preferably via the address@hidden
mailing list) some statements from which it is ok to quote
you.  Please include some background information about yourself,
so that we can avoid mistakes like the one in the Newsforge
article where I'm called a "developer".  (I'm a mathematician
and business coach with some programming skills, but not really
a software developer.)

and allow others to comment and work on it once you post the draft here?

*nod* will do.

We need to highlight more the freedom and threat to freedom issues you discussed.

Yes.

Also, we need to include FreeDevelopers involvement- call it a
*FreeDevelopers initiated and supported GNU project*.

Sounds good.

Greetings, Norbert.