Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: fitzix
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:16:26 -0400

Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Ok, I'll start working on this immediately.
>
> Everyone who would like to be quoted in the press release,
> please send me (preferably via the address@hidden
> mailing list) some statements from which it is ok to quote
> you.  Please include some background information about yourself,
> so that we can avoid mistakes like the one in the Newsforge
> article where I'm called a "developer".  (I'm a mathematician
> and business coach with some programming skills, but not really
> a software developer.)

A message I'd like to send to people who have doubts about the project:

        It's natural to have doubts about the implications of this project,
since the scope of this project is to counter something that Microsoft
is doing.  I, too, had doubts upon first hearing of the project.
However, dotGnu is not simply a Free Software version of .Net.  DotGnu
will be a suite of projects that is designed to enhance the capabilities
of the Free Software infrustructure outright.  Each of these projects
can have value as part of dotGnu, or as stand-alone products.
        If Microsoft is making these tools, then someone will use them.  It's
our responsibility to counter that usage with a Free alternative.  Also,
our responsibility is to create this infrustructure in a way that is
consistant with sensitivity to the user's privacy and with the
sensitivity of their data.  If there are problems in the Microsoft
architecture that users will implement, it is our responsibility to
produce Free alternatives that address and ostensibly fix those
problems.

Barry Fitzgerald - Sociology student, Heterogenous network
administrator, and Free Software developer.

Location: Manchester, CT, USA

Feel free to take from that as you choose.  Also, if anyone has any
comments/suggestions/flames - feel free to send them my way. :)
        -Barry