Fwd: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: Kent Nguyen
Subject: Fwd: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:11:05 +0000

Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:10:43 +0000
From: Kent Nguyen <address@hidden>
To: "Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)" <address@hidden>

> > Personally I don't like SOAP 1.1 specification.  It's bloated.  They
> > added stuff that don't make sense, and didn't add what make sense.  Look
> > at SOAP 1.1 spec., the authors intentionally leave out security.  I
> > wonder why? :) And I wonder who the authors to SOAP 1.1 spec are. :)))
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/
>
> Notice Dave Winer, who is the leader/controller of the XML-RPC protocol?
> XML-RPC also leaves out security. Is that two some kind of evil plot?

XML-RPC is generic.  It is simply saying XML with RPC.  It does not define
the specifics of the XML.  I did some work with XML-RPC-DCOP before.

Read:
http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/xmlrpc-howto/xmlrpc-howto-soap.html
"The initial public release was basically XML-RPC with namespaces and longer
element names. Since then, however, SOAP has been turned over a W3C working
group."

Looks like SOAP is an extension of XML-RPC.  By definition of abstract, I
stand corrected.

Definition of abstract:
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=abstract
"Expressing a particular property of an object viewed apart from the other
properties which constitute it;"

> > I propose we create our own standard and GPL the standard.  This way, any
> > modification to standard can be enforced and be published to the public.
>
> This is just lame. We have two good protocols to choose from, both of
> which are well supported. You want to create a third, which will have
> what benefit? Security? It will be easier to add the security needs to
> teh two existing protocols.

SOAP is under the control of Microsoft.  It is submit to the W3C for
scruntiny by Microsoft.  Dave Winer was involved in the project, but as of
today his authorship with the project is flaky.  There was an article about
this.  XML-RPC still remains with Dave Winer.

http://davenet.userland.com/2001/04/08/internetCriticTakesOnMicrosoft

I think we need to invite Dave Winer to this mailing list for some answers.
I'm basing my opinions on what is available on the Internet.

--kent