Re: [DotGNU]More compelling reasons against Mono...

From: Paolo Molaro
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]More compelling reasons against Mono...
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:44:41 +0100

On 03/15/02 David Sugar wrote:
> I think a much more apt and fair comparison would be if the GNU project
> had chosen only to create gcc and then chose to either ignore or avoid
> the much broader issue of all the software around the compiler (the
> operating system, libraries and tools) being non-free.  While, as you
> correctly note, gcc in itself does not address any of the broader issues
> of software freedom alone, it certainly does so within the context of
> the GNU project as a whole.  It is in this context which DotGNU exists
> for and around individual projects like pnet, and for which that I see
> Mono fails or chooses not to address.

Given unlimited resources you could tackle all the world's problems,
but in the real world you have to choose how to contribute your
(limited) knowledge and skills. We _did_ point out the freedom and privacy
problems of passport. We're not going to write a replacement now,
because we have already a lot of things on our plate. And I humbly suggest
that DotGNU should focus more on _few_ projects or it's risking
not completing any (and that would be really sad).

Personally, since DotGNU, too, needs a working C# compiler for its corlib
to enlarge its developer base, I'll consider with higher priority bug
reports related to that, if you choose to use it to bootstrap.
If you don't want to use it for whatever reason, I'll understand, but
this is the only help I can give you right now, as a sign of friendship
for fellow free-software developers.

lupus

address@hidden                                     debian/rules
address@hidden                             Monkeys do it better