RE: [DotGNU]GUI, System.Drawing and custom widgets

From: Simon Guindon
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]GUI, System.Drawing and custom widgets
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:29:38 -0400

This is great news Rhys :) I'm very happy this effort is being tackled.
I really like the X11 idea, because just running your small form sample,
it loads very very quickly, and this means this will be insanely
portable, which rocks.

The only issue I have (which I discussed with gopal) is how the widgets
will look.  Obviously widgets won't look like whatever toolkit their
desktop is using (KDE, Gnome, etc).  But this isn't something that needs
to be addressed ASAP or anything, just something to keep in mind I
think.

I use winforms pretty much every day on .NET, so as I said to gopal I
will test things whenever I have time.

So anyways I decided to make an empty form project in VS.NET to see if
what VS.NET generates works so far in X11-winforms since your sample is
just a blank form and it works.  The VS.NET generated code works for the
exception of one method call, I comment it out and it runs beautifully.

This is the line it crashes out on:

this.AutoScaleBaseSize = new System.Drawing.Size(5, 13);

This line is generated by the IDE in the Initialize() method it uses for
its IDE generated code.

And here is the error from pnet:

token 0x0A000012: member
`System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_AutoScaleBaseSize' not found

Anyways that's what I've found so far, great work again and I'm very
excited about this :)

Take care,
Simon