Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 01:24:54 -0500

On 12/15/20 12:30 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Of 7.3K respondents, 5K disable toolbars, which is more than two
> thirds.  So perhaps toolbars should default to off?  I know toolbars
> were all the rage in the 90s, but that's apparently not the case now.
>
> Opinions?

2¢: keep them, though with prettier icons.  It's trivial to disable them, but
it's not trivial to discover that they exist if they are disabled by default.
(FWIW, this is a general philosophy: I think Emacs should ship with a lot more
stuff enabled by default, maybe with a spartan-mode to revert to the current
defaults.)