Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:00:15 +0000

Only small subset of users answered the survey. Emacs is used by much larger
number of people. One can see that survey says that users who did answer the
survey are on level higher.

If you disable the toolbar you are doing it for those who answered the survey,
not for those coming to Emacs, larger number of users.

If I rememberv well survey also shows that large number of users use it since
shorter time like one year meaning that larger number of users drop in the
first year. Finding that cause and improving there would keep those users.

On December 15, 2020 5:30:20 AM UTC, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>In that mega thread about modernising Emacs, there was a lot of talk
>about getting more data about how people use Emacs, and then...  do
>something accordingly.
>
>Behold: https://emacssurvey.org/2020/
>
>So here's the first thread about actionable takeaways from the survey.
>(Consider all arguments about the survey not being representative as
>having been made already.)
>
>Of 7.3K respondents, 5K disable toolbars, which is more than two
>thirds.  So perhaps toolbars should default to off?  I know toolbars
>were all the rage in the 90s, but that's apparently not the case now.
>
>Opinions?

Jean