Re: contributing to Emacs

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:07:07 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>

>> > I understand and appreciate what you are trying to do, but those
>> > aren't the reasons for lack of active contributors to Emacs.
>>
>> I think it cumulative of many factors, and fixing every small factor that
>> comes
>> into play increases probability of getting a new contributor.
>
> The suggested measures will not fix any such factors.

Would you say that Emacs still has development practices from the
80s/90s that, given the chance and newer toolsets, you could see being
done differently and better?

It's okay to say that what Emacs has now is working well for the current
developers, but is difficult for on-boarding new developers that want to
start out simple before graduating into Emacs internals.

--
David Masterson