Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:14:11 +0300

> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>
> Cc: arne_bab@web.de, ams@gnu.org, luangruo@yahoo.com, philipk@posteo.net,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 00:29:10 +0300
>
> > Practical suggestions for changes that would make it easier are
> > welcome, but they must not make the lives of the current developers
> > significantly harder.
>
> For starters I would be happy if at least the section about submitting patches
> was reformatted into two sections. My last email explaining that no
> information
> will be lost in such reformat¹ was unanswered, so I don't know what is the
> current state of this discussion.
>
> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-06/msg00506.html

I already said I didn't think this was a good idea, and explained why
I thought so.

In any case, that section hardly has any bearing on the main issue at
hand: how to make it easier for people to contribute.  I explained
that as well.

I'd appreciate if this seasonal "what's wrong with Emacs
contributions" discussion would either switch to discussing some
innovative and useful ideas for how to make it easier for
contributors, or just died if there are no such ideas yet.
Reiterating the same claims and the same arguments doesn't sound like
a good use of our time and bandwidth.