Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 00:29:10 +0300

On Mon, 2023-06-19 at 21:50 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> > Cc: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>,  arne_bab@web.de,
> >   ams@gnu.org,  luangruo@yahoo.com,  philipk@posteo.net,
> >   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:07:07 -0700
> >
> > Would you say that Emacs still has development practices from the
> > 80s/90s that, given the chance and newer toolsets, you could see being
> > done differently and better?
>
> What are "development practices from the 80s/90s"?

I would abstain from answering this question, because this will turn into a
completely useless flamewar.

> > It's okay to say that what Emacs has now is working well for the current
> > developers, but is difficult for on-boarding new developers that want to
> > start out simple before graduating into Emacs internals.
>
> Practical suggestions for changes that would make it easier are
> welcome, but they must not make the lives of the current developers
> significantly harder.

For starters I would be happy if at least the section about submitting patches
was reformatted into two sections. My last email explaining that no information
will be lost in such reformat¹ was unanswered, so I don't know what is the
current state of this discussion.

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-06/msg00506.html