emacsconf-org

Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from

From: Esteban Ordóñez
Subject: Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from last year
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:17:04 +0000

Starting with a great sentence which opens the pertinent audience is the
key to call attention.  We already have that defined.  We only need to
put it at the top and shorten the rest to the basics.  The backend is
not interesting for the first call.  We should send it later, when
needed, in order to avoid distractions.  "Too much information means
less knowledge."

Below I have pasted a sample from Internet Society.  It is great, even
though it pushes a little bit on its length.

*****

Got an idea for an Internet issue you want to tackle with a group of
like-minded Internet advocates?

Now’s the perfect time to get started because the Internet Society is
accepting topic proposals for the next cycle of Special Interest Groups.

Special Interest Groups (or ‘SIGs’ as we often call them) are for
members who are passionate about a particular issue and can join
like-minded people from around the globe to collaborate and innovate for
change.

They’re also an opportunity for Internet Society members to solve issues
not necessarily addressed by the current projects under the Internet
Society's Action Plan. Who knows? Some topics of interest could even
become projects in future action plans!

SIGs are made up of members of the Internet Society from anywhere in the
world. Together, you can pursue activities that support the Internet
Society’s mission.

Got an Idea? Here’s How It Works:
1. Gather like-minded individuals on a topic idea and register your
interest as a group by emailing sig-interest@isoc.org. We will add you
to a mailing list to collaborate and share topic ideas amongst other
interested groups.
2. Through the mailing list, we will give you direction on how to form a
team and build a high-level topic proposal.
3. Submit your proposal by 31 August.
4. Prepare for question and answer sessions during September and October
so you can give further details and clarifications on your proposals to
other members.
5. Members will be able to vote for their top five topics in November.

Already in a SIG? Your SIG could be voted in for another cycle. Start
discussing with existing leaders on continuation plans.

Questions?

Reach out to sig-support@isoc.org.

Best,

Kyle Shulman