emacsconf-org

Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from

From: jc@tlo
Subject: Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from last year
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:16:41 +0900

> On Jun 20, 2023, at 11:16, Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> wrote:
>
>    - Strongly nudge people towards 20-minute talks, with repeats as
>      the incentive for shorter talks and extra coordination/waiting
>      needed for longer talks. People propose just the talk length
>      they want (and can optionally propose other talk lengths if they
>      want to be considered for them).

Nice idea.

> - We added emergency contact info, public contact info, pronouns, and
>  introduction to the submission form because we ended up going back
>  and forth with people in previous years, and sometimes we had
>  incomplete info and were panicking about how to reach people during
>  the conference. We could drop this from the submission form and do a
>  separate speaker information form.
>  - Choices:
>    - Talk submission, then speaker information form: less
>      intimidating for speakers
>    - Everything in one: easier for organizers

Let's try easier for the organizers.

> I don't have a lot of e-mail time (mostly just squeezing in things on my
> phone or when the kiddo is otherwise occupied), so I tend to prefer to
> have things documented on a page instead of relying on copying and
> pasting into e-mail.

Indeed.

> We could put them in collapsible headings or a FAQ
> or something. But if people want to help with speaker coordination and
> would like to take care of those e-mails, that could work too!

+1

Here below is a proposal for (slightly) shortening/reorganizing the page, with
a *big* nudge toward 20 minutes proposals:

--------------

**About EmacsConf 2023**

EmacsConf 2023 is about the joy of [Emacs](https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/)
and Emacs Lisp. Come share your experiments and adventures with the Emacs text
editor / operating system / way of life! We welcome speakers of **all
backgrounds** and **all levels of experience**, including newcomers giving
their first talk. What have you found exciting about Emacs lately? What do you
wish someone had told you when you were starting out? What part of your
workflow might inspire someone to get into Emacs or go deeper?

All kinds of people use Emacs for all kinds of things. We\'d love it if
EmacsConf 2023 could highlight interesting perspectives and reflect the
diversity of our community. If you know someone who might have a good idea for
a talk, please reach out to them and encourage them to submit a proposal. Many
people (especially from underrepresented groups such as women, people of
colour, non-developers, etc.) might not consider themselves proficient enough
to share their thoughts. If you let them know that you value their knowledge
and experiences, and maybe even suggest something that you think others would
like to hear about, they may realize that they do have something worth sharing
and that we would love to hear from them.

**Call for Participation**

[EmacsConf 2023](https://emacsconf.org/2023/) will be a virtual conference on
**December 2 and 3, 2023 (Sat-Sun)**. If you\'d like to present at the
conference, please [[submit your
proposal]{.underline}](https://emacsconf.org/2023/cfp/) by **September 14, 2023
(Friday)**.

A great way to get started with writing a proposal is to start by exploring the
programs from previous years: [2022](https://emacsconf.org/2022/talks/),
[2021](https://emacsconf.org/2021/schedule/),
[2020](https://emacsconf.org/2020/schedule/),
[2019](https://emacsconf.org/2019/schedule/),
[2015](https://emacsconf.org/2015/schedule/),
[2013](https://emacsconf.org/2013/#program). You might also find some neat
ideas on the [ideas](https://emacsconf.org/2023/ideas/) page. Feel free to add
yours there too! If you\'re still not sure, come by our IRC channel #emacsconf
on irc.libera.chat and say hi. You can join the chat using [[your favourite IRC
client]{.underline}](ircs://irc.libera.chat:6697/emacsconf), or by visiting
[chat.emacsconf.org](https://chat.emacsconf.org/) in your web browser.

This year, we\'d like to experiment with accepting proposals throughout the CFP
process. If there are similar proposals, we\'ll work with people so that the
talks can cover different facets.

**Important dates**

For EmacsConf 2023, we are planning for 9am to 5pm Toronto/EST (2pm-10pm UTC)
on December 2 and 3.

  ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------
  CFP opens                           June 26, 2023 (Monday)

  CFP closes                          September 14, 2023 (Friday)

  Speaker notifications               September 30, 2023

  Schedule published                  October 31, 2023

  EmacsConf 2023!                     December 2 and 3, 2023
----------------------------------- -----------------------------------

**Talk formats**

We\'d like EmacsConf 2023 to inspire lots of different people to explore lots
of different things in Emacs. We hope to put together a stream of quick ideas
followed by lots of conversation over IRC and/or Q&A sessions, with occasional
deep dives into topics that many people might find interesting or useful.

There will be time for questions and answers after your talk, so you don\'t
need to include that in your talk timing.

Because scheduling can be time consuming and tricky, we\'d rather have you
target **20 minutes** for your presentation. 20 minutes seems to be the best
length for a presentation: short enough to keep people\'s attention, long
enough to get into some details. If you feel uncomfortable with presenting that
much, consider a **10 minutes** presentation.

Think of 20-minutes presentation as extensions of a barebones 10-minute
presentation. If you are aiming at the 10-minute presentation, just write an
outline of what you plan to talk about if you have 5-10 minutes. If you'd like
to propose a longer talk, add an outline of what you might add to the first
part if you had more time to present.

-   **Up to 20 minutes total:** You have a core idea. What do you want
people to do or remember? Consider what is important to get people
interested, flesh out the points that you think are the most     crucial, show
how the pieces work together, etc.

-   **Up to 10 minutes total:** Limit yourself to the core idea and what     do
you want people to do or remember. Show just enough to get people
interested and then point them to where they can learn more     afterwards. You
can answer questions over IRC, the pad, or the wiki,     and there\'s no limit
to how long that conversation can go.

Other session formats such as tutorials, workshops, and hangouts are welcome as
well, in case you would find those other formats preferable to a traditional
talk format. If you\'re interested in these or other session types, please let
us know [publicly](https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacsconf-org) or
We\'ll be happy to work something out with you.

**Preparing and submitting your proposal**

We\'re aware that it can be challenging and intimidating to prepare and submit
a proposal to a conference, and we want to help make it less so. Come say hi to
us on our IRC channel #emacsconf on irc.libera.chat, and we\'d be happy to try
and answer any questions or concerns you may have about writing your proposal
or submitting it. We\'d also love to receive suggestions on how we can best
help you and other prospective speakers interested in giving a talk at
EmacsConf.

Once you\'re ready to submit your proposal, the
[submit](https://emacsconf.org/2023/submit/) page has the instructions on how
to submit your talk. The submissions will then be reviewed by a selection
committee (please [[let us know]{.underline}](https://emacsconf.org/contact/)
if you would like to help review submissions as part of this committee).

If your talk is approved, we\'d love it if you could help us make sure the
conference runs smoothly. After we email you with the time allotted for your
talk, we\'ll ask you to

-   prepare a prerecording of your talk, or record it with our help if
that\'d be easier for you; and

-   schedule a short tech-check if you\'d like to be able to answer
questions in a live session.

Don\'t forget to subscribe to our main mailing list,
[emacsconf-discuss](https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacsconf-discuss),
for discussion and announcements about the EmacsConf conference.

If you\'d like to propose something other than a talk, like restreaming the
conference, you can also use this CFP to share your ideas with us.

We look forward to your ideas and submissions!

**Getting involved**

If you would like to help with the conference (planning the sessions, reviewing
proposals, helping with infrastructure, making sessions more accessible,
editing video transcripts, etc.), see our
[planning](https://emacsconf.org/2023/planning/) page and come say hi to us at
#emacsconf on irc.libera.chat.

If you are not available during the conference itself but you have a neat idea
that you\'d like to share, please propose it anyway! You can always handle
questions after the conference, and we might even be able to coordinate with
other Emacs meetups for regional events (if you\'re an Emacs meetup organizer
and would like to make this happen let\'s [get in
touch](https://emacsconf.org/contact/)!).

Importantly, as EmacsConf continues to grow and receive increasingly more
talk/session proposal submissions each year, we have thought about adding
multiple parallel tracks during the conference days to accommodate the large
number of sessions. However, we\'re currently a very small team and we would
need your help to do it! If you\'re interested in helping stream a parallel
EmacsConf track and have a reliable internet connection with decent speed and
bandwidth, please [get in touch](https://emacsconf.org/contact/) with us so we
can help get you set up for streaming. We\'d also likely need more volunteers
still for each track, for example a host for that track to announce the next
talk (this can also be done by the streamer if the streamer is interested and
able to) and another volunteer to help check in speakers of upcoming live
sessions.

If you are interested and able to help with any of the above, please reach out
to us; we\'d love to have your help!

In addition to the
[emacsconf-discuss](https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacsconf-discuss)
list, feel free to subscribe to
[emacsconf-org](https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacsconf-org) as well,
for discussions related to organizing the conference by the EmacsConf
organizers and volunteers.

We\'d really appreciate your help in making EmacsConf 2023 the best one so far!

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org