emacsconf-org

Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from

From: Esteban Ordóñez
Subject: Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from last year
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:19:57 +0000

Wow!  It looks great.  I have only 2 more suggestions:  (Am I over my
quota?  Feel free to disregard that which you do not think is a good
idea.)

> Call for participation
> ======================
>
>   [Emacs] (<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>) isn't just a text editor,
> it's a way of life. What have you found exciting about Emacs lately? Have you
> figured out a good workflow? Used Emacs for something interesting? Want to
> share the story of how you got into Emacs? Come share what you've been
> learning at EmacsConf 2023 and meet other enthusiasts along the way! All
> backgrounds and all levels of experience are welcome.

Going directly in the first sentence to what we want would be better on
this first paragraph:

"What have you found exciting about [Emacs]
(<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>) lately?  Have you figured out a
good workflow?  Have you used Emacs for something interesting?  Do you
want to share the story of how you got into Emacs?  Share with us what
you've been learning and meet other enthusiasts along the way at
EmacsConf 2023.  All backgrounds and all levels of experience are
welcome.  Emacs isn't just a text editor, it's a way of life!"

I learned by using Emacs that each sentence ends with double space for
ease of movement with C-a and C-e.  I think that it is a standard.  That
is why I have used double space.

>   [EmacsConf 2023] (<https://emacsconf.org/2023/>) will be a virtual
> conference on *December 2 and 3, 2023 (Sat-Sun, 9AM-5PM UTC-5 / 2PM-10PM
> UTC)*. If you'd like to present at the conference, please *[submit your
> proposal] (<https://emacsconf.org/2023/cfp/>)* by *September 14, 2023
> (Friday)*.
>
>   Not sure what to talk about? We've shared a few [ideas]
> (<https://emacsconf.org/2023/ideas/>) to help you get started.
>
>   This year, we'd like to experiment with accepting proposals throughout the
> CFP process. If there are similar proposals, we'll work with people so that
> the talks can cover different facets. Submit your idea early so that you can
> have more time to work on your talk!

Each of the rest of the headers can be sent when the person asks
something about those topics or the conference organization requires it.
 The least text we send, the more it will be read.  This first message
and how it reflects ease of engagement is crucial to call attention and
gain diversity.

Cheers!