emacsconf-org

Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from

From: Cairn
Subject: Re: Draft call for participation (maybe June 26?), lessons learned from last year
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:26:15 +0000

Hey everyone!

I was enthusiastic about contributing at the start of 2022, but life
took its turns, and I didn't even get to attend last conference.
Luckily, I'm settled into a new apartment and a new job, and I'll look
out for how I can help this year. =)

> On Friday, June 23rd, 2023 at 09:56, Sacha Chua
> sacha@sachachua.com wrote:

> I removed the section on the commitment to freedom because the same kind
> of message is on the https://emacsconf.org/2023 page, but since that's
> something bandali added before, let's check with him to see if that's
> okay. It might be important to at least some of our potential
> speakers/attendees that they won't need to use any proprietary software
> in order to participate in EmacsConf, unlike many other conferences. Can
> someone think of where it makes sense to put that in, maybe in just one
> sentence?

I think it'd be most valuable for anyone who'd decide not to submit if
the process wasn't entirely libre, so placing it with the submissions
section would work. Something as simple as the following?

Like the rest of the conference, the submission process will never
require anyone to use non-free software.

Either at the start or end of the "If you need help" paragraph. That
way, the part about being committed to freedom can still be the job of
the main page.

> - Know someone who might have something to share? People mentioned they
> found this very encouraging before.

I particularly like this section, yeah.

> Encouraging talks about nontraditional uses of Emacs and
> user-focused talks about Emacs could be good too. The number of people
> who say to me "I'm just a user, not a developer"... And it'd also be
> nice to pull people in further with inspirational workflow/Emacs Lisp
> videos that also come with notes/resources.
>

> Is there anything else we can tweak about this CFP so that we can bring
> out both user-focused and developer-focused talks of varying levels of
> experience?

I think the CFP is good enough in this regard. We can only hope folks
make some unique submissions. Maybe we can be proactive, and reach out
to community members who haven't given talks yet?

> This is the first year we can plan for two (or more) streams from the
> beginning, so it might be interesting to see what we can do so that
> there's something for everyone. =)

Looking forward to seeing how this helps the planning process!