gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.2
Date: 13 Jun 2004 00:07:04 -0400

Greetings!

Magnus Henoch <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > In addition, some of you might wish to contribute a README text file
> > containing specific items you've discovered about your build.  If so,
> > please do this ASAP.
>
> Here's one for OpenBSD.

Thanks you!  Added to branch and trunk.

> > Magnus, pc-nqthm-1992 needs a larger value stack.  echo '(setq
> > si::*multiply-stacks* 16)(si::save-system "foo")' | ./saved_gcl && mv
> > foo saved_gcl and proceed from there if youd like.  The nqthm is
> > likely a data segment limit as you've noted.
>
> Indeed.  With increased data segment limit and larger stack both have
> passed their giant test.
>
> However, nqthm grew to about 200MB, to the point where it did nearly
> no progress at all as the system was only swapping.  (I have 256MB of
> RAM)  I killed the process, and started the makefile again to let it
> pick up where it stopped.  Is this expected behaviour of nqthm, or
> could it be a GCL bug?

We've done some significant work on the compiler in removing errors
unconvered by the random tester -- some of these result in more stack
usage, and this could be the issue, but it has not yet been
definitively determined.  These two particular tests do take more
memory than they used to in 2.4.  Something to look into in 2.7.

Take care,