gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2
Date: 21 Jun 2004 17:10:23 -0400

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> | Greetings!  I've taken a stab at some verbiage n the release notes
> | page:
> |
> | http://people.debian.org/~camm/GCL_2_6_2_tests.html
> |
> | I'm writing this as always too quickly, late at night, being short on
> | time.  I'd greatly appreciate suggestions and comments/edits.
> | Specifically, I want to make sure we don't overstate the condition of
> | GCL, yet I feel we need to state clearly where possible and fair GCL's
> | strong points to help ameliorate the prevailing somewhat negative
> | impression of our project.
>
> Thanks for this.  Here are my comments.
>
> 1. Should these items be restricted to Linux or Unix:
>
>   The stuff about 64 bit images and platform support? (untested on Windows)

OK, am clarifying this.

>   Heap scaling and unnecessary internal garbage collection? (SGC only or
> both)

This should be universal (variable si::*optimize-maximum-pages*).

>   Profiling? (I haven't ever tried this, shock, horror)

Should work if you have gprof.  Don't know if this is worth clarifying
or providing an example.

>   Speed on Windows is definitely below Linux.

How should this be stated?  (apart from sgc?)

> 2. The glossary wrapping is messy when the browser width is too small.

Here is my ignorance -- how does one make a simple tabbed table in html?

> 3. I'll try and replicate the benchmarks on Windows, but can't say when.  I
> was shocked at the speed results especially in comparison with CMUCL!  (Even
> accounting for the usual caveats of benchmarking - blah, blah, blah!!!)  It
> might be worthwhile looking into a GCL entry at:
>
>   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Thanks!