Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:03:27 +1100

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:33:06 -0800
Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> > b) User Manual/Developer Manual: Keep the existing (SGML-based)
> > documentation in CVS as long as no other way to produce an PDF/tree of
> > static-html pages has been found.
> How has the SGML been produced to date? Built on "plain text"
> contributions, which gets hand-coded into SGML by yourself, Hilmar, or
> sometimes Ian or others, and then uploaded into CVS? Has there been any
> special significance or reason to put it in the CVS, or has it simply
> been convenient to put the manuals on your own computer (in your local
> CVS) and then to upload?
Yes, bascially. DocBook is a pain to write but produces high quality HTML and
printed
output. For the developers manual this is IMHO overkill as we are unlikely to
produce a printed version:
the wiki should be the 'definitive' version.
Note this is in addition to the autogenerated docs from the source.

For the user's guide we do need this ability, there is no wiki system (AFAIK)
that produces DocBook output, as it
would need to preserve  the concept of the chapter-section-subsection hierarchy.
I have experimented with writing one in PHP (see gnumed/test-area/ian/wiki) but
I am limited by time.
If there is interest I will take it further.

Ian
PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E