Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:02:25 -0800

On Mar 23, 2004, at 10:03 PM, Ian Haywood wrote:

DocBook is a pain to write but produces high quality HTML and printed output.<SNIP> For the user's guide we do need this ability, there is no wiki system (AFAIK) that produces DocBook output, as it would need to preserve the concept of the chapter-section-subsection hierarchy.

I found something developed, and perhaps still in use, at the Linux Documentation Project, though seemed limited to LDP authors. Still perhaps worth to pick ideas and what may be freely usable from the person?
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/WikiText-HOWTO/index.html

also postings on this at
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=5273168
http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-print.php?page=DocBookDev

I also found a posting in French (my parents were Dutch but living in Canada they sent me to a French school) which references a Korean php class that generates from wiki all principal DocBook tags although the php code was said to contain some bizarre characters. As the French poster spoke no Korean they decided to not drive himself crazy and instead use the class Wiki2xhtml and then "switch" the xthml tags to DocBook. I wish I could do more with this myself but offer the info in case it gives useful resources, contacts or ideas.

the French posting:
http://www.sdion.net/index.php?page=40

its link to the korean resource:
http://www.gpgstudy.com/projects/wiki2docbook/wiki2docbook.php