[Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:53:30 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

I am unaware of where those shouls come from. Most of them are su busy with
their own work they couldn't care less. After all getting the code to look at
takes 10 minutes at most.

Well, you was asking for jobs for people that want to spend some time ...

We suffer from one most stupid problem. *That* make people think gnumed sucks

I do not think that GNUmed sucks currently.  But I'm afraid it will suck at
one day if we continue working as we do currently because the way it is
done currently does not scale for a larger project (IMHO).

We need consistent PR work right on gnumed.org.

Definitely.

Are we talking about the same group of IT-students ? The ones I know have had
lectures on how to design a database theoretically or can tell you how to
find and algorithm for finding black spots in a picture. They have no skill
whatsoever when it comes to coding.

Well, *you* was asking for jobs for people.  Please describe these people
first, before we try to find tasks for them.  (Normally you have a task and
are searching for people who can do it.  It seems a little bit the other way
around in FLOSS development.)

What can I say. Tell me or the portential coders a structure and you get it.

Well, why did you make a different directory structure between CVS and
the gnumed-client release.  I've thought you have a reason to make it
different.  I do not know any project that invents a different directory
layout for their rlease tarball than in CVS.  Just stripping off the
unneded bits like the CVS directories and files that are not used should
be fine - the rest is done by an install script.

Even too high level for my initial request. Where can I find  your work ?

It is hidden inbetween my old packaging stuff at

    http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/gnumed/

I have some more things doen on my local disk, but find an interested
person first and I will introduce this person in private instead of
spending time explaining here on the list instead of spending it in
real packaging work.

Where is the documetation on how to build Debian packages ?

Hmmm, there are several documents.  I hope that I do not sound arrogant
if I turn it to an "ask Google" question.  It makes no sense if I have to
make long introduction.  If somebody speaks up and says: Give me everything
you did - I will continue / work together - it is fine.  I think it is
quite ineffective if I start teaching the basics.

I absolutely agree. Still those three are so different that we need to decide
if we packaged them entirely separate or via some common build environment.

OK, understand.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--