Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:04:04 -0800

At 5:46 PM +0100 11/28/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 > Your initial introduction of GNUmed to me was that we want to make doctors
 adictive of GNUmed by just giving them small standalone plugins which than
 will be wrapped by a fully functional practice management system.
Ah, OK, I recall that.

Sounds a bit like what Apple makes possible in its "widgets" layer (if anyone has seen the current OS release 10.4 "Tiger").

We have similar local discussion to try and attract doctors to a health region "portal" that is under construction where they can come and find out what plans are going on to try and further organize, co-ordinate and improve health in the region. There is discussion of whether the provision of applets or widgets could be an inducement to visit the site, for example a widget that fetches the call schedule of your own group, or that of a local hospital's specialty services.

I had a related thought. I know some people who use PDAs (Palms etc) on account of software they find very helpful that rightly or wrongly they contend is unavailable on the desktop. I am unaware whether anyone has "mapped" this for medically useful items. Versions that already exist for the desktop might nicely, once installed, be able to be nicely "called" by GNUmed to supplement any plug-ins that GNUmed creates for itself. Versions that don't yet exist, and which go beyond GNUmed's scope or ability to deliver, might be listed for a larger open source community to consider.