[Gnumed-devel] Lenny 5.0

From: Rogerio Luz
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Lenny 5.0
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:21:08 -0300

Ok so the Debian Lenny became stable, what does this mean to GNUmed ?

*** RANT
I was thinking on stopping to use my production Laptop wit dual-boot winXP since last month ... long story, needed to format the XP and the original CD killed my MBR so I had to spend a week to get all my Debian and backup files working again (almost lost my GNUmed DB backup in the process, but with the help of a tool called "tesdisk" I am proud to say I did it :), just something to remember me that PROPER BACKUP IS DONE WITH READ-ONLY MEDIA.
*** RANT ENDS

By the same time Debian 5.0 was out (Lenny - stable) so I saw no more need to use the (while still very superior to XP) more unstable tesing eny more.

BUT there was a catch, after I installed the hole system, got on the web, installed PostgreSQL, got it running after looking over again in the wiki for the configuration, it would NOT run eigther the Client or would it resore my backups.

It was a question of finding the dependencies and getting the /etc/gnumed folder right, of course it is all in the wiki, but I managed to make 2 scripts to automate the process.

So I'll send these scripts here so if it would be shipped WITHIN the tarballs maybe we can make more people use GNUmed out of the box without having to plow through the dependencies checking and installing.

By the way, I am sending also a pg_hba.conf (wich we could also put into tarballs) that is only altered for GNUmed usage, only for localDB access, no other modification was made from the way it ships, so it has only the simplest modification of granting DB rights for localhost users. I think for a "taste of GNUmed" this is what people are looking for ... and the wiki is too full of information on the connections and offsite identification and what not and it is not quite explicit on this: If you have only a 1 computer practice the only modification you need is this little file :)

Rogerio Luz Coelho, MD.