Re: [Gnumed-devel] Lenny 5.0

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Lenny 5.0
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:00:41 +0100

Rogerio,

thanks for your impressions which will help to make GNUmed better.

> I was thinking on stopping to use my production Laptop wit dual-boot winXP
> since last month ... long story, needed to format the XP and the original CD
> killed my MBR so I had to spend a week to get all my Debian and backup files
> working again (almost lost my GNUmed DB backup in the process, but with the
> help of a tool called "tesdisk" I am proud to say I did it :), just
> something to remember me that PROPER BACKUP IS DONE WITH READ-ONLY MEDIA.

For recovery tasks I always recommend using SystemRescueCD from

        www.sysresccd.org/

> BUT there was a catch, after I installed the hole system, got on the web,
> installed PostgreSQL, got it running after looking over again in the wiki
> for the configuration, it would NOT run eigther the Client

Are you saying that after running

        apt-get install gnumed-client

you could NOT run the client and connect to the public
database ? If so I suggest you report a bug against the
gnumed-client package in Lenny. I am sure Andreas would be
very interested.

> or would it resore my backups.
It's a bit awkward, yes.

> It was a question of finding the dependencies

        apt-get install gnumed-client

is supposed to take care of all dependancies. If not please
file a bug against that package.

> and getting the /etc/gnumed folder right

        apt-get install gnumed-client

is supposed to take care of that. If not file a bug.

> So I'll send these scripts here so if it would be shipped WITHIN the
> tarballs maybe we can make more people use GNUmed out of the box without
> having to plow through the dependencies checking and installing.

The tarball provides this to help with that sort of thing:

        client/check-prerequisites.sh

It will check the system for things it needs to run smoothly.

Also, if one uses

        gnumed/dists/Linux/net_install-gnumed_client.sh

from the CVS tree all the dependancies are taken care of
just like when using apt-get.

> By the way, I am sending also a pg_hba.conf (wich we could also put into
> tarballs) that is only altered for GNUmed usage, only for localDB access, no
> other modification was made from the way it ships, so it has only the
> simplest modification of granting DB rights for localhost users. I think for
> a "taste of GNUmed" this is what people are looking for ... and the wiki is
> too full of information on the connections and offsite identification and
> what not and it is not quite explicit on this: If you have only a 1 computer
> practice the only modification you need is this little file :)

Please suggest how to improve the information. If you want
you can improve it yourself, too.

> #!/bin/bash
> ## Version 0.1 (March 2009)
> ## This script will deal with depencies that prevent GNUmed to work
> ## with Debian 5.0 (Lenny - stable) as it is installed out of the box.
> ## This script must be run by root !!!!!! (at your own risc)
> ## This script is intended to install all missing dependencies at the
> ## Python level.
> ## Rogerio Luz Coelho, M.D (Brasil)
>
> aptitude install postgresql python-egenix? python-enchant python-psycopg2
> python-wxgtk2.8

This is done by both apt-get install and by
net_install-gnumed_client.sh.

However, there may be a need for this. Let's see if I can
come up with something based on your idea.