Re: [Gnumed-devel] Lenny 5.0

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Lenny 5.0
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:19:03 +0100

On Dienstag 24 Februar 2009, Rogerio Luz wrote:

> *** RANT
> I was thinking on stopping to use my production Laptop wit dual-boot winXP
> since last month ... long story, needed to format the XP and the original
> CD killed my MBR so I had to spend a week to get all my Debian and backup
> files working again (almost lost my GNUmed DB backup in the process, but
> with the help of a tool called "tesdisk" I am proud to say I did it :),

Congratulations.

> By the same time Debian 5.0 was out (Lenny - stable) so I saw no more need
> to use the (while still very superior to XP) more unstable tesing eny more.

Yep. Well. The "testing" distribution became stable. So there was little
difference when it was released.

> BUT there was a catch, after I installed the hole system, got on the web,
> installed PostgreSQL, got it running after looking over again in the wiki
> for the configuration, it would NOT run eigther the Client or would it
> resore my backups.

Please tell us more. I guess you most likely installed GNUmed 0.2.8.10 from
Lenny now aka stable.

While this seems logical you still need testing (now called squeeze) for
GNUmed stable version 0.3.10 and database v9.2.

Please tell us what exactly stopped you. All dependencies should be taken care
of automatically. GNUmed nowadays installs in a few steps.

add testing to apt sources
apt-get install -t testing gnumed-client

now you can connect to the local database

add experimental to apt sources

apt-get install gnumed-server
sh gm-bootstrap_server

add the one line to pg_hba.conf so the client can connect.

now you have a local database v9.2 which can be connected to by client 0.3.10

I have done this a number of times in the last few days.

The whole process is performed on the live CD and can serve as an example

> It was a question of finding the dependencies

what exactly ? It should be handled by apt automatically

> and getting the /etc/gnumed
> folder right,

what is wrong with /etc/gnumed ?

> So I'll send these scripts here so if it would be shipped WITHIN the
> tarballs maybe we can make more people use GNUmed out of the box without
> having to plow through the dependencies checking and installing.

there is the net_install script which does everything needed. If not then it
is broken and we need to fix it. I will have to check if the net_install
script is visible enough.

> By the way, I am sending also a pg_hba.conf (wich we could also put into
> tarballs) that is only altered for GNUmed usage, only for localDB access,
> no other modification was made from the way it ships, so it has only the
> simplest modification of granting DB rights for localhost users.

This is what could be shipped in the example directory.

> I think
> for a "taste of GNUmed" this is what people are looking for ... and the
> wiki is too full of information on the connections and offsite
> identification and what not and it is not quite explicit on this: If you
> have only a 1 computer practice the only modification you need is this
> little file :)

You are right. It is hard to please everyone. There is only one line to add on
stock Debian to pg_hba.conf.

The readme.Debian informs about this. You might want to take a look at the
wiki and rework the DebianGuideLong and DebianGuidShort sections.

The short version is really only the few steps I outlined above. You are
right. GNUmed is not ready "out of the box" but that is intended. It needs a
little configuration.

This configuration is the problem. It can be adressed by a shell script, a
debconf question or whatnot. Just don't forget the users in the future who
hit you with a baseball bat if any script alters the pg_hba.conf and makes
their other applications unusable.

Thanks for your effort. Have you had a look at version 0.4rc yet ?

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany