Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: FreeDiams freediams_0.4.2-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTE

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: FreeDiams freediams_0.4.2-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into Debian
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:26:22 +0200

Am Mittwoch 14 Juli 2010, 22:37:11 schrieb Eric MAEKER:
> >> How do we proceed with the future release ?
> >>
> >> Eric
> >
> > Code freeze for Debian 6.0 Squeeze expected in August
> >
> >     http://www.debian-news.net/2010/06/16/code-freeze-for-debian-6-0-squeeze
> >     -expected-in-august/
> >
> > This, I think, means that if FreeDiams 0.4.2.x makes it into testing
> > in time (which it should have), 0.4.2.x will make it into Debian 6.0
> > Squeeze which will become the next "Stable".
> >
> > The next FreeDiams 0.4.3 will make it into the the next testing,
> > which will not make it into Squeeze.
> >
> > I am not sure what % of users use stable for desktop machines, and
> > what % use testing.
> >
> > My only immediate concern is that if any of the bugs that I
> > identified were serious (I think I identified at least one that was
> > a clinical concern), that bug fix *needs* to get into FD 0.4.2.x+1
> > (0.4.3?) because maybe it will be harder to get it in after the
> > freeze?
>
> Wawwww I've made too many code improvements from 0.4.2 to now... And
> I'm not ready to release 0.4.4. Even if I freeze some features. I'm
> actually working on the ATC integration which is a lot a new code
> (that needed to be writtent and then tested/corrected).
>
> Andreas, how many time do I have to send you the new source package
> (0.4.4) before it will be too late to have any chances to enter the
> stable Debian release ? If I have time to implement ATC interactions
> engine, FreeDiams will reach the 0.5.0 version and would be a better
> start for all collaborations on FreeDiams/EMR and drugs/interactions
> databases.

Unless FreeDiams 0.4.2 is seriously broken and you don't want it in stable at
all I would not worry too much. It is an illusion to get the right version
into stable. You will be coming up with so many versions that you will alway
whish that one should have made it into stable. A lot of users will have the
testing tepository enabled.

And one can always have a stable base and additional packages from testing.

I would not worry too much.

> > Ubuntu 10.10 (codename Maverick Meerkat) ‘Debian Import Freeze’
> > passed on 24 June.
> >
> >     http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/freezing-maverick-behind-the-scenes-o
> >     n-ubuntu-10-10/
>
> Does Ubuntu retrieve the Debian-Med work to its own repositories ?

Debian-Med work will end up in the standard Debian repositories and therefore
be pulled into Ubuntu until Debian-freeze automatically. However until Ubuntu
feature freeze you can always request that they pull a package from testing.

But here the same stuff applies. You will never get your latest and greatest
into Ubuntu stable so you will end up with a Ubuntu personal package archive
(PPA)

GNUmed has been down these roads many times.

> Andreas, on a Debian 5.0 what is the line I need to add to apt.sources
> for me to install FreeDiams 0.4.2 from your repository ? I haven't had
> any success on installing debian sid inside a virtualbox. Debian
> installer does not find the HDD driver...

All you need (currently) is the line for debian testing
It depends on your bases system (lenny == current stable or testing/sqeeze ==
future stable)

Have a look at apt pinning

Sebastian