Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on MacOSX

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on MacOSX
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 09:47:48 +0200

Hi Jim

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 07:08:10 AM Busser, Jim wrote:

>On 2012-05-14, at 11:05 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> > I keep getting asked if GNUmed runs on Mac OS. I always say sure but ...

> > Casual Mac users often would like not to be bothered with MacPorts and

> > friends.

> Presently AFAICT, it is no longer possible to run wxWidgets natively on Mac

> unless it is an old (Power PC) Mac or still using 10.5 Leopard (instead of

> 10.6 Snow Lion or current 10.7 Lion).

> ps://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnumed-devel

Could you please help get an answer to the following question.

the wxpython.org page lists at http://wxpython.org/download.php#unstable

wxPython2.9-osx-carbon-py2.6

wxPython2.9-osx-carbon-py2.7

wxPython2.9-osx-cocoa-py2.7

These supposedly are native builds.

I know that we needed (and may still need) MacPorts for other GNUmed dependencies.

http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=wxpython lists

py27-wxpython 2.8.12.1Python interface to the wxWindows cross platform GUI

Maintained by: jwa

Categories: python graphics

Platforms: darwin

Dependencies: python27 wxWidgets

py27-wxpython-devel 2.9.3.1Python interface to the wxWindows cross platform GUI

Maintained by: jwa

Categories: python graphics

Platforms: darwin

Dependencies: wxWidgets-devel

Looks like there is no Carbon or Cocoa variant. The only one seems this

py26-wxpython 2.8.10.1Python interface to the wxWindows cross platform GUI

Maintained by: jameskyle

Categories: python graphics

Platforms: darwin

Dependencies: python26 wxWidgets-python

Variants: carbon gtk universal

I guess the maintainer needs to be contacted to update the build to include a carbon or cocoa variant. The original binaries (see above) seem to indicate that it is possible to provide them.

Once we have that working on a development machine (ideally 10.5) it should be possible to package as dmg and hand it to users.

Sebastian