Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on MacOSX

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on MacOSX
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:12:52 +0000

On 2012-05-15, at 12:47 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

py27-wxpython 2.8.12.1Python interface to the wxWindows cross platform GUI
Maintained by: jwa
Categories: python graphics
Platforms: darwin
Dependencies: python27 wxWidgets

I am not sure whether I tried the above, since I have py26 wx 2..10 (below) working under X11 and, since I could not get wx 2.9 to work (thought it could be my limitation) cannot experience an improvement until someone smarter than me posts a method or wx 3.x comes available and in a Mac package...

... unless perhaps wx 2.8 under Carbom (built on Leopard) avoids some of the problems experienced under x11

py27-wxpython-devel 2.9.3.1Python interface to the wxWindows cross platform GUI
Maintained by: jwa
Categories: python graphics
Platforms: darwin
Dependencies: wxWidgets-devel

I tried to install py27 with wx 2.9.x (devel) but could not successfully hack it

Looks like there is no Carbon or Cocoa variant. The only one seems this

py26-wxpython 2.8.10.1Python interface to the wxWindows cross platform GUI
Maintained by: jameskyle
Categories: python graphics
Platforms: darwin
Dependencies: python26 wxWidgets-python
Variants: carbon gtk universal

The above is what I am using under X11 on Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. We should bear in mind that Snow Leopard was released in 2009 (it is now 3 years old).

I guess the maintainer needs to be contacted to update the build to include a carbon or cocoa variant. The original binaries (see above) seem to indicate that it is possible to provide them.

https://svn.macports.org/ticket/20952
wxWidgets fails to build 64-bit
(closed defect: wontfix)
Changed 6 weeks ago by address@hidden
• status changed from new to closed
• resolution set to wontfix
sayeth the poster:
"Well, 2.9.4 should be released soon, 3.0, i.e. the next stable version soon after that (that's the rumour anyway), but current wxWidgets stable port stays as it is."

https://svn.macports.org/ticket/24350
proposed new Portfiles for wxWidgets and wxPython
(closed enhancement: fixed)
... this at least gives some background as to why the problems on Mac OS. I think these portfile patches make it easier to install wx under X11 on Snow Leopard but I don't think they have been rolled into MacPorts so the process of installation still may not be automatic and hence need a stepwise method (as I posted on the wiki) to achieve a Mac install.

 Once we have that working on a development machine (ideally 10.5) it should be possible to package as dmg and hand it to users.

Maybe the above can provide a Mac native dmg built under 10.5 which, despite being Carbon and not Cocoa, can be run natively under Mac OS 10.6 and 10.7 and provide a more satisfactory experience (than I have been having under x11) pending wx 3.x

-- Jim