Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:19:40 +0100

Le 30 sept. 04, à 04:53, Gregory John Casamento a écrit :

I have been thinking quite seriously about starting a GNUstep Foundation, but have hesitated since I didn't know how the community would feel about such a
move.

Any GNUstep foundation would need to be:

1) Formed by a group of the maintainers..

agree, a foundation needs legitimacy.

2) Have a decision making structure which makes decisions only pertaining to the Foundation and will not attempt to interfere with the GNUstep project, we don't want to repeat the mistakes of the GNOME Foundation and start doing
"design by committee".

agree as well. The Foundation's role should be to promote GNUstep by various
means, that's all.

How would these funds be used?

1) They could be used to help promote GNUstep: posters, flyers, t-shirts,
whatever..
2) they could also be used to compensate GNUsteppers part-time, or
3) used to pay a company to contribute some code.

I would like to know, at this point, what the community thinks of this.

I am all for it.
Sure, we could gather money via paypal accounts or via FSF (perhaps..) ... But having a Foundation is probably much better, and provides more visibility than
paypal account :-)
And effectively, we could imagine compensate some developers like that (if we got money, which is a bit optimist perhaps at this stage :-) , organize bounties, etc.. The only thing of course is to have a Foundation that we (as the community) can trust :-) but I think if you (for example) create it, that's perfect.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke