Re: Advertisement for gnustep

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: Advertisement for gnustep
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:36:26 +0200

On 11.09.2006, at 21:44, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Well, maybe was the phrasing slightly suboptimal, but not the message behind it ... ;-) Besides, we don't have a desktop (yet) and never will because some project members don't want GNUstep to become a desktop in the first place. This is legitimate, but I am convinced this has negative impacts on the "progress" of the entire project.

I happen to think that's completely wrong ... as I don't know of anyone who doesn't want GNUstep to become a desktop (in the sense of being opposed to it), and even if some people were opposed to it that doesn't mean they would be able to prevent it ... as there are certainly no such people among the core developers. My strong feeling is that most developers ideally want GNUstep to be an entire system!

You are correct, sorry if I was not precise. It's not about nobody wants GNUstep to become a desktop, it is about priorities. Should GNUstep be promoted/pushed as a (Unix) desktop environment or should it be a pure (cross-platform) framework which can then be used to write a desktop or whatever. Whenever this discussion came up many valuable contributors expressed their sympathy for the latter option. Now again, this is legitimate, but it has - obviously - strong influences on the project itself.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip