Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Hubert Chan
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:53:52 -0400

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 05:58:20 +0200 (CEST), "Nicola Pero" <address@hidden> said:

>>> Things should be decoupled ... -make and -base don't really talk or
>>> depend on each other.
>>
>> Not entirely true. Currently -base depends on -make for
>> configuration.
>>

> Thanks, I see your point ... which is a very good one :-)

> You're suggesting that, for example, in a binary distribution (say,
> Debian) you could install gnustep-base without installing
> gnustep-make.

Well, since you mention Debian... ;) Debian currently splits off parts
of gnustep-make into a package named gnustep-common.  gnustep-common
includes GNUstep.conf, openapp, GNUstep.sh, etc... all the stuff that a
regular user might want for running GNUstep programs, without all the
Makefiles.

(It's nice to be on a mailing list where, when someone wants to use a
binary distribution in an example, it's usually Debian. ;) )

[...]

> I suppose the right way of addressing the issue is to create a
> 'gnustep-common' package, that only installs GNUstep.conf.

> Then, on top of that, you can install gnustep-make and/or
> gnustep-base; you only install gnustep-make if you want to build.

> We could make all this explicit by extracting the creation of
> GNUstep.conf into a separate software ... to be installed before
> gnustep-make.  It sounds very clumsy though ;-)

> At the moment, I'd leave everything as it is (a packager could still
> install GNUstep.conf in a separate package to get the effect above).

I agree.  My personal recommendation would be that, in terms of source
tarballs, you should keep GNUstep.conf inside gnustep-make.  If someone
downloads the sources, well, they'll need gnustep-make anyways.  Then
you can let the binary distributors do what they want, and split off a
gnustep-common package if they want to.  Of course, I'm biased, because
that's how we're doing things in Debian. ;)

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: address@hidden - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)