Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:28:44 +0200

Hi Nicola,

Would it be an idea to have an option that decides what kind of tree is going to be used like:

GNUSTEP_FS_STRUCTURE=[FHS|GNUSTEP|WINDOWS|SOLARIS]

And then GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR decides where the root is, maybe it should be called GNUSTEP_FS_ROOT, like in
GNUSTEP_FS_ROOT=[/usr/GNUstep/System|/usr/GNUstep/Local|/usr|/usr/local|/opt]

I understand the use of domains, since it abstracts the filesystem from the user, but there is no NETWORK equivalent for FHS and WINDOWS, and some systems like to use /opt, which you rule out.

And what does SYSTEM mean on a Unix but non-FHS system, does that mean /usr or /, or /opt?

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis Leeuw

Nicola Pero wrote:
I'd like to propose a new option for gnustep-make ...

GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

which could take the values SYSTEM / LOCAL / NETWORK / USER.

This option can only be set on the command line, or before including
common.make ...
but using it in GNUmakefiles should be discouraged as all packages should
install by default
in the default locations ... except for maybe gnustep-base :-)

The meaning of the option is obvious ... it would determine if we install
into
System/Local/Network/User (currently you use GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR for
this).

The advantage of this option is that it could work with the Unix (or
generally 'native')
filesystem support ... eg, on GNU/Linux,

 make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM

would install stuff in /usr, while

 make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=LOCAL

would install stuff in /usr/local.

We'd still keep GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR, but only in the situations that
used to work
(ie, GNUstep or Apple filesystem layout), and it would be discouraged to set
GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR inside GNUmakefiles themselves.

In general, GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR doesn't work well with the more
flexible directory layout.

Most of the times you want to set GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR to
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT, for example,
but that variable is no longer defined until later inside the GNUmakefiles
(you're no longer
supposed to have sourced GNUstep.sh!), and moreover, it might not even
have much sense if the
filesystem is not the GNUstep one.

GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN would let you do the same things, but could be
made to work in
more general contexts. :-)

Comments welcome

Thanks