Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:59:27 +0200 (CEST)

> Would it be an idea to have an option that decides what kind of tree is
> going to be used like:
>
> GNUSTEP_FS_STRUCTURE=[FHS|GNUSTEP|WINDOWS|SOLARIS]

We're not far from that ;-) ... that option will be used when configuring
gnustep-make.

We just need to save the configured filesystem structure in GNUstep.conf,
and use it to set GNUSTEP_APPS etc. in common.make, and we're almost done
(except
that a few things, like GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR, will no longer work in that
context). ;-)

> And then GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR decides where the root is, maybe it
> should be called GNUSTEP_FS_ROOT, like in
> GNUSTEP_FS_ROOT=[/usr/GNUstep/System|/usr/GNUstep/Local|/usr|/usr/local|/opt]

Why not GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN then, which is an 'abstract' definition
of where things should be installed ?  gnustep-make would then map it to
the local reality. :-)

> I understand the use of domains, since it abstracts the filesystem from
> the user, but there is no NETWORK equivalent for FHS and WINDOWS, and
> some systems like to use /opt, which you rule out.

I don't rule anything out ;-)

... you will map your domains to your local filesystem situation in the way
you want.  You can map something to /opt.  You can have Network be the same
as Local, or be something different.  Those things will be first decided
when you configure gnustep-make ... presumably you can also edit the
GNUstep.conf file. ;-)

> And what does SYSTEM mean on a Unix but non-FHS system, does that mean
> /usr or /, or /opt?

That will depend on how you configured your gnustep-make. :-)

Thanks